Thursday, May 25, 2006

I SCREAM for ICECREAM!!!!

Its quite evident from my previous post that I like eating. So its no surprise that my next post is also on a food item – Icecream!!!.

Its summers and what summers, I haven’t experienced this kind of heat in Mumbai ever in the past 4.5 years of my existence in this city. So, when it comes to food, anything cool is more than welcome. I am not an icecream freak so to say but offlate my intake of icecream has increased manifold. This got me thinking that by eating so much icecream how much extra fat am I asking my poor body to burn. I am among those millions of people who is desperately trying to loose weight and anything leading to a miniscule increase becomes a matter of concern. If not for very long but atleast for a few minutes.

I did my bit of research in order to figure out how guilty I should feel everytime I have a bowl of fresh mangoes with vanilla icecream or a huge scoop of chocolate icecream.

According to wikipedia, icecreams available today can have 0-16% fat.

Most fat in an icecream is from milk fat. A cup of whole milk is supposed to contain approximately 5g of saturated fat – aka Bad Fat. This 5 g constitutes 3.3% of the milk composition.

A gram of fat contains 9 calories while a gram of carbohydrate & protein contain 4 calories each. This goes on to prove that 1 cup milk contains 45 calories from fat. Fair enough.

Now if 118 ml of vanilla icecream i.e. half cup contains approximately 12gms of fat (as per an article on the net) – we are talking about 108 calories only from fat and then it also contains proteins and carbohydrates which contribute to the calorie count. According to an article on the internet, a half cup of vanilla icecream contains 178 calories in all.

And I don’t eat half cup so its definitely going to be much more than 178 for me.

Realisation dawns!!!! Guess this information should help me avoid this delicacy more often!!!

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 comments:

Kedar said...

Oh all those calories!! You've just given me one more reason to love ice scream...

I scream, "ICE CREAM..."

Naturals, here I come.

Saumil said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Saumil said...

wanna know the icecream i have gone crazy about?

checkout more about icecreams, magic and addiction