Sunday, May 07, 2006

The way to my heart is……

Through a delectable meal in an amazing restaurant!!!. Let me define what is amazing for me. Amazing is a warm ambience, good music, sufficient choices for a vegetarian and value for money. Basically, an experience in itself. I have been a foodie since childhood and love experimenting with food. This friend of mine – Kedar and me have quite similar choices when it comes to a food experience and also Mumbai as a city has quite a few options to offer to a food enthusiast.

I am typically very fond of continental cuisines and the ambience of the place is very important for me to enjoy the delicacies a place offers. Most times one may find that the food is really good but the experience is marred by the ambience. It could be garish or crowded or noisy and it can ruin my meal.

Of the many places where I have dined the first one that comes to my mind is Don Giovanni. This restaurant is at Juhu opposite Ramada Inn. According to the menu, it serves Italian preparations from the villages of Italy. The menu claims that these preparations may not be found in the most famous restaurants in the cities of Italy. I have never been to Italy but given a chance, I will run to these villages, if what they serve is what you get in the villages of Italy. Its amazing Italian food with an ambience to go along with it. From the road you can see the blazing red Ferrari flag. The entrance claims that children are allowed only if they do not disturb patrons. I really liked that one. Inside, it’s a dimly lit place which offers you maximum privacy even if the restaurant is completely full. Its better to reserve a table and go since the place is full even on weekdays. Its slightly heavy on the pocket but worth every penny spent because the food that is served is not available in any other restaurant claiming to serve Italian food.

As I said before, my weakness is continental food so the other place I would recommend is Vie Lounge. This is further away from Don Giovanni on the same road in Juhu. Now this one is an elite, up-market lounge cum restaurant and can prove quite expensive. They serve Mediterranean cuisine and according to Kedar, the best steak he has ever eaten, and he has eaten quite a few, so I believe him!!!. A very different food experience for sure and the ambience is breathtaking. It overlooks the Juhu beach but is quite far away from the populated beach section. Ask for a table outside and enjoy the cool breeze with the dinner. The best of all is the complimentary bread basket with some amazing butters. These are garlic butter and mushroom butter. I do not know where to get them from, or if they make them themselves but I would not mind going there to eat only that. Its the best thing I have ever eaten. They have some really unusual combinations for cocktails and an extensive range of liquers to choose from as well.

Another good place is Out of the Blue. This is in Bandra between Pali Naka and Carter road. This place has never let me down on its pastas. And the best part, it has a very long list of vegetarian dishes on offer. Most of these exotic places have very limited vegetarian choices and that is where I get into a fix. But Out of the Blue is a safe bet for any vegetarian. Try the pasta in garlic with extra virgin olive oil and it’s a refreshing delight from the regular cheesy versions of pastas available now a days. They also have a very good selection of wines. Though I am not much of an expert on that.

Last but not the least is Café Churchill in Colaba. I am sure most Mumbaiities will be aware of this place. It is a very small café but serves such amazing food that it’s a must go whenever I am in that part of the town. You can expect a waiting even at 7:30 in the evening since the place is very small. The same people have opened up Café Mocambo. I however, like Café Churchill better. Its this small little café tucked away in the colaba flea market. One might miss it if one does not know about it. Try the irish bailey pastry. Its worth sinning with that one!!!

So long and Happy Eating!!!!

Technorati Tags: , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff !!

Might just get you the next 'Food Connoisseur' award !

Some places you should be taking me to .. the next time I come to India !

Although, Kedar and myself ... might just blend in with choices as similar as yours ... deep down I know ... we are 'food fanatics' rather than just connoisseurs ! Sometimes, for us, its more about the food than the ambience ... guess that shud explain our frequent visits to all the laris and galis in amdavad and baroda !
(or was it the lack of money, kedar?)

You post reminds me that I have to do a post on the wines, I've been having ... masa almost gave me a wine101 the other day ...lol.. will share some gyaan soon !

take care ... and happy munchin' !

~ saumil

p.s. you still owe me that pastry/brownie treat !

Anonymous said...

man you are a serious blogger now:)
sure enough this blog sounds like one from a true food enthusiast.

I think you should quit DSM and become a food critic....probably if thats your profession...all the restaurantly work extra hard on their ambience and food when you are around.....after all they would not like to take any panga with THE NIRALI SURATI

Laterzz Girl!!!
Priya